Born and raised in Vienna, Austria, Natascha Mair began her education at the prestigious Vienna State Opera when she was just seven years old.
At the age of 17, she graduated from high school and obtained her ballet diploma. In the 2012/13 season, Mair joined the Vienna State Ballet and quickly rose through the ranks, being promoted to first soloist by Director Manuel Legris in 2018.
During the 2020 lockdown, Mair achieved a significant accomplishment by becoming a Certified Pilates Instructor. She also used the further years to expand her knowledge and skills by completing courses on online learning platforms, including life coaching, event planning and sports psychology.
In 2020, Natascha Mair joined English National Ballet as a principal dancer. Her extraordinary talent and dedication to her craft have led to a successful career as a ballerina, and she continues to inspire and captivate audiences worldwide.
© Simon Kupferschmied
English National Ballet, London, United Kingdom
- Raymonda in Raymonda from Tamara Rojo, Mayflower Theatre Southampton
- Odette/Odile in Swan Lake from Derek Deane, Liverpool Empire, Palace Theatre Manchester and Coliseum London
- Clemence in Raymonda from Tamara Rojo, Coliseum London, Bristol Hippodrome and Teatro Real, Madrid, Spain
- Clara in Nutcracker from Wayne Eagling, Coliseum London
- Solstice Swan Lake and Le Corsaire, Royal Festival Hall
- Reunion Senseless Kindness from Yuri Possokhov, Sadler's Wells
- Clara in Nutcracker delights, Coliseum, Online
Guest Performances – full lengths
- Odette/Odile in Marius Petipa’s Swan Lake, State Kremlin Palace, Moscow, Russia
- Odette/Odile in Marius Petipa’s Swan Lake, Aspendos Opera Bale Ballet, Turkey
- Gulnare in Manuel Legris' Le Corsaire, Madrid, Spain and Tokyo, Japan
- Swanilda in Pierre Lacotte’s Coppélia, Dance Open Festival, St. Petersburg, Russia
- Clara in Youri Vámos The Nutcracker - a Christmas carol , Opera Ljubljana, Slovenia
- Princess Aurora in Marius Petipa’s Sleeping Beauty , Opera Ljubljana, Slovenia
- Marguerite Gautier in Tomaž Rode’s Lady of the Camellias, Festival Portorož, Slovenia
- Gulnare in José Carlos Martinez's le Corsaire, Opera Ljubljana, Slovenia
Performances with Yury Revich
- 120 year celebration of diplomatic relations between Chile and Austria:
Santiago de Chile - Panguipulli - Frutillar, Los Lagos - Valdivia, Chile
- Austrian Day - World Expo in Dubai, Emirats Dubai
- Amadeus Festival in Vienna, Austria
Vienna State Opera Ballet, Austria
- Clara in Rudolf Nureyev’s Nutcracker
- Lise in Frederick Ashton’s La Fille mal gardée
- Swanilda in Pierre Lacotte’s Coppélia
- Gulnare in Manuel Legris' Le Corsaire
- Olga in John Cranko’s Onegin
- Henriette in Nureyev’s Raymonda
- Crown Princess Stephanie in Kenneth MacMillan’s Mayerling
- Najade in Manuel Legris' Sylvia
- Hermia in Jorma Elo’s A Midsummernight's Dream
- Marie Antoinette in Patrick de Bana’s Marie Antoinette
- Juliette in Davide Bombana’s Roméo et Juliette
- Solveig in Edward Clug's Peer Gynt
- George Balanchine: Jewels, Symphonie in C, Valse fantaisie, Allegro brillante
- David Dawson: A Million Kisses to my skin
- William Forsythe: Artifact suite, The second detail
- Harald Lander: Études
- Kenneth Mac Millan: Concerto 1st movements
- Wayne McGregor: Eden Eden
- John Neumeier: Vaslaw, Verklungene Feste, Le Pavillon d‘Armide, Bach suite
- Jerome Robbins: Four Seasons
21.02.2023 – Le Lac des cygnes de Derek Deane par l’English National Ballet – Natascha Mair et Brooklyn Mack
..... Au-delà d'une très belle technique assurée, Natascha Mair danse avec son âme. Il y a toujours chez elle une grande honnêteté, dans ses gestes et ses intentions, une sensibilité toujours juste, une fragilité assumée qui va droit au coeur. Son travail de bras est soigné, il se fait poétique et d'une grande musicalité. Dans cette veine du conte, Natascha Mair est véritablement tournée vers l'oiseau dans les actes blancs, accentuant par ses bras et son haut du corps toujours mouvant cette idée de malédiction, de femme-oiseau un peu surnaturelle. ......
06.09.2022- Legend and Legacy: a gala tribute to Rudolf Nureyev
..... Sleeping Beauty Act III brought us the grand pas de deux with the glorious Vadim Muntagirov who has matured into a very fine artist indeed, here partnering a rock solid Natascha Mair. Muntagirov produced flawless technique combined with the grace and elegance of a true dancer noble .....
19.06.2021 – Solstice, English National Ballet, RFH review – a midsummer treat
... a first for me, at least – the special attributes of ENB’s latest star acquisition, 26-year-old Austrian Natascha Mair, whose lightning speed in piqué turns defies her lavish length of leg.
17.06.2021 – English National Ballet: Solstice review – smitten swans, chiseled abs and thumping techno
.... and Isaac Hernández is on good form in the Black Swan pas de deux from Swan Lake, partnering a deliciously wicked Natascha Mair.
18.01.2021 – ‘A delight to watch from start to finish’: NUTCRACKER DELIGHTS – English National Ballet (Online review)
......Elsewhere, Natascha Mair as Clara offers a delightfully innocent and playful performance that perfectly captures the character. ......
06.01.2021 -Nureyev’s The Nutcracker from Vienna State Ballet looks back to the past and also to the future
...... On the very night of this performance, Mair was promoted – at 23 – to First Soloist at the curtain call (the company’s equivalent of principal); so her meteoric rise is to be followed closely when dancers eventually can get back on the world’s stages. Mair already performs here with a rare naturalness and never – at any time – do you see her open face register the technical demands of the choreography and her dancing has lightness, speed, and an easy fluency. Mair’s vivid response to the music seems instinctive and she seems to have the ability – not given to all ballerinas – to embellish a phrase to stress the rhythm and intrinsic emotion. ......
28.12.2020 – English National Ballet’s Nutcracker Delights is a true Christmas cracker
.... Mair immediately announces herself as someone to look out for in the future; her Clara is open faced and full of wonder and her dancing has a delightful lyrical ease with exquisitely soft arms. Never for any moment did you see her face foretell how she was going to move next and Mair exuded an aura that dancing is the most natural thing to do to express oneself....
18.11.2020 – English National Ballet | Nutcracker Delights Casting
..... Opening night will see Natascha Mair’s first performance with English National Ballet. ....
09.11.2020 – NEWS: Natascha Mair – Just for the record!
... “attitude” wishes our dear Natascha just the best for this new, exciting period of her career and says THANKS for all the joy you have given us!
04.03.2020 – Lukács / Lidberg / Duato (Première): (Vienna State Ballet)
.... All dancers extremely well-rehearsed, precisely together, in perfect unison technically and emotionally either as a pair (Alice Firenze/Masayu Kimoto, Natascha Mair/James Stephens, Nikisha Fogo/Richard Szabó and Erika Kovácová/Zsolt Török), solo (Iliana Chivarova), trio (Céline Janou Weder – totally in her element, „projecting“ herself up till the gallery! - and Gaetano Signorelli & Arne Vandervelde) or as a group altogether...
13.01.2020 – Natascha Mair talking „about Swan Lake and Odette & Odile“
... Natascha Mair had her first Swan Lake in the Theatre in Aspendos (Antalya, Turkey) in the first week of September last (for this performance she was coached by the great Brigitte Stadler) and then on September 25th with the Kremlin Ballet in Moscow, in which she danced with Isaac Hernandéz (English National Ballet) and was coached by no one but the marvellous Tamara Rojo. Moments to be remembered
07.10.2019 Dance by Lina – Interview
... Natascha and I first met last December 2018, I was lucky enough to catch her on the day she was promoted to Principal Dancer of Vienna State Opera Ballet, it was such a coincidence having bought the tickets 3 months before the show not knowing that she would be the one performing. ...
29.01.2019 – Coppélia (Première)
... But this “easiness” to be “in” the roles is just achieved by hard work. That is the point I would like to refer to: Natascha Mair's and Denys Cherevychko's pinpointed work was present from the beginning on till the very end of the show. It may not sound extremely important but for a balletomane it makes all the difference to witness clean Piqués Arabesque and Pas-de-Chats (on her first variation of the first Act) as well as his sharp, precise Jetés, also at the beginning of Act I. ...
31.12.2018 -The Nutcracker
.... Hers is a translucent Clara who has the qualities that I have missed on stage since Gelsey Kirkland and Lesley Browne (Both danced the Baryshnikov version, which I rather prefer to Nureyev's one): sincerity, delicacy, suavity., transparency...
16.06.2016 – Marie Antoinette – revisited
..... Her strength and frailty at the same time are a rare thing – her vulnerability and sadness towards the end of the piece, the way in which Antoinette “gives up” astonishing. ...
21.02.2013 – New Works, Dancers Promise Bright Future for Vienna Ballet
…… But it was rookie Natascha Mair, aged 18 and who joined the corps de ballet just six months ago, who had everyone talking after her cool performance in Dawson's "A Million Kisses to my Skin," replacing Polakova and holding her own alongside many of the company's greatest names ...